Current COVID-19 Protocols:
- Masks are not required. REACH Leadership STEAM Academy will not enforce or monitor if students are wearing their masks inside the classroom or on campus. Masks will still be provided for students and staff upon request.
- Students and staff are not required to quarantine if exposed to COVID.
- If a student or staff member has been exposed to COVID and displays symptoms, you must stay home and test for COVID.
- If Positive, Follow COVID Guidelines Below
- If Negative, the student or staff member may return to school/work
Quarantine vs isolation
Persons Who Test Positive for COVID-19:
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status, previous infection, or lack of symptoms.
- Stay home for at least 5 days after symptoms start (or after the date of the first positive test if there are no symptoms).
- Quarantine can end after day 5 if symptoms are not present or are resolving
- If unable to test, choosing not to test, or testing positive on Day 5 (or later), isolation can still end after Day 5 if fever-free for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medications and symptoms improve.
- If fever is present on Day 5, isolation should be continued until 24 hours after the fever resolves.
- If symptoms, other than fever, are not resolving, continue to isolate until symptoms are resolving or until after Day 10.
- Per CDPH masking guidance, infected persons who are fever free and whose symptoms are resolving after day 5 should continue to wear a well-fitting mask around others for a total of 5 additional days, especially in indoor settings (see the masking section below for additional information).
*Antigen test preferred.
Asymptomatic Persons Who are Exposed to Someone with COVID-19 (No Quarantine)
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status. Persons infected within the prior 90 days do not need to be tested, quarantined, or excluded from work unless symptoms develop.
- Test within 2-5 days after the last exposure.
- Per CDPH masking guidance, close contacts should wear a well-fitting mask around others for a total of 10 days, especially in indoor settings and when near those at higher risk for severe COVID-19 disease
- Strongly encouraged to get vaccinated or boosted.
- If symptoms develop, test and stay home (see earlier section on symptomatic persons), AND
- If the test result is positive, follow the isolation recommendations above.
Sick students - If a student is sick, it is recommended to test for COVID. If positive, please follow the COVID quarantine protocols above. If negative and has been fever free for 24 hours without the use of medication, the student may return to school.
Students with symptoms - It is okay for students to be at school if they are getting over a cold. Those students may still have a lingering cough or a little congestion, which is normal with viruses, including COVID. Students will not be sent home if they have allergies. Our school nurse understands that allergies and COVID have similar symptoms, but she considers several factors when differentiating allergies and COVID.
All Staff - If a staff member starts to develop symptoms after exposure to COVID, that staff member will be asked to stay home and get tested. If the test is negative and the staff member has been fever free for 24 hrs, they'll return to work the next day. If a staff member tests positive, whether they have symptoms or not, they will be required to follow the COVID quarantine protocols above.
Sick Staff Member - If a staff member doesn't feel well, they must plan for a sub and get COVID tested. If the COVID test is negative and they feel well, they will return to work the next day.